One of the most complex systems in the building is the roof. Coincidentally, the roof also receives the greatest physical punishment. Exposure to the elements (wind, rain, hail, heat and cold) precipitates most of the claims for damage to roofs. Despite this, a properly constructed and maintained roof should endure considerable physical abuse. Much of the controversy associated with roof damage originates because damage from exposure to the elements occurs simultaneously with faulty construction, poor maintenance, or poor design. The challenge in these investigations is to discern the true cause of performance failure.
When evaluating the performance failure of roofs, the following issues are significant:
- What is the nature of the performance failure?
- Which element of the roof failed?
- What are the possible causes of the component failure?
- Are there any contributing causes to the performance failure?
- What is the extent of the affected area?
- What must be done to correct the failure?
Watch our Video: Commercial Roof Defects and Water Intrusion